At Forest Park Medical Center,
we put our patients and their families first. With first-class amenities and a wealth of helpful information, we have designed our medical facility with you in mind.
Preparing for Surgery
Forest Park Medical Center is dedicated to making your surgery experience as comfortable as possible. Please take a few minutes to read the information provided, and unless otherwise directed by your physician, follow the guidelines below. If you have questions about your specific surgery, be sure to talk to your physician. If you have additional questions prior to your surgery please contact the pre-admission department at 469.624.5547.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery. This includes water, mints, chewing gum and tobacco. You may brush your teeth the morning of your surgery but please do not swallow any water or toothpaste.
- Bring a case for glasses, contacts and/or dentures.
- Dress in loose fitting, comfortable clothing.
- Leave all valuables and jewelry at home (including all rings and body piercings).
- Bring insurance card(s)/co-pay/deposit and ID (driver’s license) the day of your surgery/procedure.
- Bring a complete list of all medications including herbal and vitamin supplements that you are currently taking.
- Check with our physician concerning which medications you should take the morning of your surgery.
- You must have a licensed adult driver bring you to Forest Park Medical Center and drive you home after your surgery/procedure. You will not be discharged unless a licensed adult driver is with you.
- Notify your physician immediately if you become ill or develop a fever or if you have any questions before or after your surgery/procedure.
The Day of Surgery
Please plan to arrive at Forest Park Medical Center two hours before your surgery is scheduled to begin.
You may park anywhere at Forest Park Medical Center except in the Emergency Department ambulance parking spaces. When you arrive, walk into the main lobby and approach our front desk receptionist to sign in.
One of our admitting clerks will come and get you from the lobby so that consent forms can be signed and admission paperwork can be completed. Please don't forget to bring your driver's license or another government issued photo identification and your insurance card.
You will be escorted to our pre-op area upon completion of the admission process. Friends and family will be escorted to the surgical waiting area.
After surgery, you will be taken to our Post-Anesthesia Care Unit. We will assess any discomfort you have by asking you to rate your pain. We will ask you to rate your pain on a 0 to 10 basis with 0 being no pain and 10 being the worst pain you have ever experienced. This allows us to appropriately treat your discomfort and assess the effectiveness of any medications you are receiving. At this time you will receive discharge instructions that will include information on how and when to follow up with your physician.
If you are scheduled to go home the day of surgery, you will be assessed prior to discharge to assure that you have met our requirements for discharge. Please ask any questions or express any concerns at this time to enable us to be sure you and your family are well informed about your post operative care and are confident in leaving our facility. You will be escorted to your car by one of our staff.
Family & Friends
The comfort of your family & friends is very important to us. Forest Park Medical Center offers a full-service cafeteria open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Forest Park Medical Center also has a coffee bistro that brews fresh Starbucks beverages located inside the hospital right next to the main lobby.